Reading: Matthew 18:18-20
“For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them”—this is a passage that I always quote, but always forgetting the two verses before it! That together, if we agree about anything to ask the Father—He will do it for us; and together, as a church, we also have authority on the decisions and pronouncements we make.
“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.”
My brothers and sisters, what is it we need (and even want) to ask the Father today? Jesus said the Father will do it for us. Let us agree and pray that….
- Everyone in our family will come to know the Lord and experience the love, forgiveness and freedom in Christ, the new creation and everything that it entails including the renewing of minds and the indwelling of the Spirit; let us also pray the same for our friends, neighbours, and co-workers;
- Those who are in a position to teach would have the revelation of God in their lives, a conviction of things done in the past/current that should be treated with remorse, and a passion to live holy lives. May these be the people we find teaching in our Sunday/Sabbath schools, at the pulpit, Bible trainings, primary and secondary schools and universities;
- Those in authority, including local and national leaders, would come to know the Lord, His plans, and that they would be willing and passionate instruments in advancing God’s kingdom by leading with righteousness and justice;
- Those who are weak in spirit and in health will be strengthened. That they would experience the healing touch of Jesus, and they would draw strength from Him. May they not be held captive to their fears and worries, but find wholeness and abundant life in Jesus! May they use their unique opportunity to spread the good news of the Lord. The Lord bless them!
- For ourselves. That the Lord will continue to reveal Himself to us, to sanctify us with his Holy Spirit and make us fruitful, so that He will be glorified in our lives. Let us mention to Him our needs, and thank Him for the answers are already on their way!
Thank you Father for your deep love for us, thank you for that great desire that we be restored to you as your children. Thank you for sending Jesus to make this possible. Thank you, our Lord Jesus for taking our place of punishment so that we will be in God’s kingdom for eternity. Thank you for making an example of what obedience to the Father is like. Thank you for your Word which serves us our guide. And thank you for the Holy Spirit who empowers us to live holy lives. All these we pray, in Jesus’ mighty name. Amen.